Last updated: April 2013
Capital one 360 (formerly ING Direct) has one of the simplest to use web interfaces around and their savings accounts offer the best APY from the large national banks at the moment. This is why I recently made an account with them. I also found out that if you are using a referral when joining, you get free money: for checking: 50$, for savings free 25$. Now, if you want to get the money please use my referral.
You can use the following link to create an account:
The only restriction is that your initial deposit for savings accounts should be of at least 250 for you to get the bonus.
If the link does not work, just send an email to my email address ingbonusd at gmail.com with your email address and I will send you an up to date referral link.
Many US banks charge for sending money to an account that you do not own if that account is at another bank.
There are though some online options for doing such a transfer for free:
PayPal allows you to transfer money to friends for free. The following image shows the where exactly in the interface you can do it.
+ You do not need a lot of information from the friend, just an email address.
- The friend needs a PayPal account
- It takes a while for the friend to actually get the money after he accepts the transfer.
- If there are problems with the transfer, it might be difficult to get the money back.
2. ING Direct checking account
ING allows doing the same thing, very easily. Go here for a tutorial.
+ Fast, free
+ You can get 75 account opening bonus for opening such an account (no hidden fees) . Read more here.
- You need the account information from the friend (bank account number, routing number)
I prefer the ING option, but you might like the PayPal one more.
Update: ING Direct has been acquired by Capital One and is now called Capital One 360. To get the bonus for new Capital One 360 accounts please read this updated post.
ING Direct USA has one of the simplest to use web interfaces around and their savings accounts offer the best APY from the large national banks at the moment. This is why I recently made an account with then (you get 50$ free just for opening a checking account). I also found out that if you are using a referral when joining, you get 25$ extra (for checking: 25$ +50$ = 75$ total!, for saving it is a free 25$!). Now, if you want to get the money please use my referral.
For a savings account you can use this link:
If the link does not work, just send an email to my email address ingbonusd at gmail.com with your email address and type of account you want (ING Electric Orange Savings or Checking) and I will send you back an up to date referral link. The only restriction is that your initial deposit should be of at least 250 for you to get the bonus.
If you want to visit a site and get a popup with this error in Firefox 3.5, what you have to do is this:
1. Type about:config in the address bar. From the window that appears, find the following line “browser.xul.error_pages.enabled”. If the value from the same line is false, then double click it(it will turn to “true”).
2. Enter the URL of the webpage that you wanted again, a window will appear offering you the option of adding an exception that allows you to view the website.
Adding an exception can also be done manually, following the steps:
1. Go to “Tools” menu and then “Options” .
2. Click on “Advanced”, then tab “Encryption” .
3. Click on the “View Certificates” button.
4. Select the tab called “Servers” from the window that appears.
5. Click on the button “Add Exception” (bottom right).
If the POP3 access trick described in my Yahoo Mail free POP access post does not work (and because of that the method described in this post for reading Yahoo Mail in Gmail does not work), your only option is to use a third party application.
The simplest way to read Yahoo Mail messages in your Gmail inbox is to use the free web application called Nutshellmail. Just sign up for an account, setup Gmail as your primary address and setup your yahoo account. You will start receiving your Yahoo Mail in Gmail. You can customize the hours when Nutshellmail checks for Yahoo email, but the interval cannot be less than an hour. Another disadvantage is that the messages arrive batched in a single email, but this is a small price to pay for getting the email in Gmail for free.
Amdahl’s law states that the speedup achieved through parallelisation of a program is limited by the percentage of its workload that is inherently serial. We can get no more than a maximum speedup equal to 1 / (s + p / N ) where
s = the length of the serial part of the problem
p = the length of the parallel part of the problem
N = number of processors used
Gustafson’s law states that , with increasing data size, the speedup obtained through parallelisation increases, because the parallel work increases(scales) with data size.
To those who took Amdahl’s law as an argument against Massively Parallel Processing, Gustafson’s law proves they are wrong.
1. Today, Amdahl’s presumption of fixed data size is obviously a restriction which does not map into reality for many problems.
2. Both laws are in fact different perspective over the same truth – one sees data size as fixed and the other sees the relation as a function of data size.
My compilers teacher was Preston Briggs’ teacher.
I’m happy and proud that I managed to get here.